-All you really need is a MOUNTAIN BIKE and a HELMET and some comfy clothes to ride in. It’s also a good idea to bring a water bottle and even some snacks to keep you hydrated & energized. Some people also use extra protective gear like knee/shin/elbow pads, glasses, or gloves…it all depends on what you are comfortable with.
-If you don’t own a bike, some mountain bike facilities have rental bikes (see our Find a Club/Trail page for facility info)
-If you want to buy a bike, there are lots to choose from and it can be a little confusing. We really recommend going to a proper BIKE STORE and not a big box store (like a certain ‘tire’ store or ‘mart’…if you know what I mean). Proper bike stores will be able to get you the right type of bike, a bike that fits you, and get you a bike that won’t fall apart after 1 or 2 rides. Trust me…I’ve seen it happen! Box store bikes DO NOT LAST and they are designed with parts that cannot be repaired or replaced.
Join a Club:
-It can be hard to show up to a new place and be expected to know the drill. That’s why we recommend hooking up with a club! Joining a club is easy!
-Clubs will help you with your equipment, show you the trails, help you with technique, and have great group rides with a bunch of awesome riding friends. Bonus: riding with a club reduces your risk of getting lost in the forest!
-All you have to do is:
CLICK HERE FOR CLUBS
to find a club near you. Use the contact info in the club listing and send them an e-mail or give them a call. Ask about joining their club. Easy!
Where to Ride:
-You can also use our map and trail list to search for places to ride near you. Put in your location or zoom on the map and you will see a list of trails pop up on the left. Click on any of these listing to get more info about each trail – like directions, facilities available, and costs (if any).
CLICK TO FIND A TRAIL
-If you want to try some fun mountain bike events, we’ve got a list of great Events to try!
-For your first event, we definitely recommend the TRILLIUM TRAIL BLAZERS YOUTH RACES and here are the Top 5 reasons why:
1) Trillium Trail Blazers Youth Races are FREE!!!
2) Pre-race CLINIC where you’ll meet some Pro-riders to give you the low-down on racing, bike set-up, etc.
3) Try some fun, flowy trails and follow a marked out course so you won’t get lost
4) A cool finisher medal
5) Ride with some friends and have a great time – no pressure – just fun!
-In order to sign up for an event, you’ll need to do a few things:
- Go to the Calendar or Events page and select an event.
- Click on the “Register Now” button for that event. This will take you to the event registration website.
- Follow the instructions and fill out the registration form with your info.
- Get your mom, dad, or your guardian to help pay for the event online if there is a fee. The Trillium Trail Blazers events are FREE – so you don’t have to worry about it!
- ***SUPER IMPORTANT***When you show up at the race, you will need to have a SIGNED WAIVER for the event. It must be signed by your mom, dad, or legal guardian. You have 2 choices:
- You can print the waiver from the website when you register online, get your parents to sign it, and bring it with you. Don’t forget to bring it with you to the race!!!
- OR…fill out a waiver at the registration desk when you go to the event and get your parents to sign it there. Just make sure your parents/guardian come to the race to sign your waiver…and also to cheer you on in the race!